- adj. 学院的；学术的；理论的
- n. 大学教师，大学生；学者，学究
1. [usually before noun] connected with education, especially studying in schools and universities
The students return in October for the start of the new academic year.
high / low academic standards
an academic career
2. [usually before noun] involving a lot of reading and studying rather than practical or technical skills
academic subjects / qualifications
3. good at subjects involving a lot of reading and studying
She wasn’t very academic and hated school.
4. not connected to a real or practical situation and therefore not important
It is a purely academic question.
The whole thing’s academic now—we can’t win anyway.
• aca·dem·ic·al·ly / -kli / adv.:
You have to do well academically to get into medical school.
你得学习成绩优良才能进入医学院。noun a person who teaches and / or does research at a university or college
academic2 ●○○ AWL noun [countable]
- Their academic standards are high…
- I was terrible at school and left with few academic qualifications…
- He is academically gifted…
- I was only average academically, but was good at sports.
- …the start of the last academic year…
- I’d had enough of academic life.
- The author has settled for a more academic approach…
- Different schools teach different types of syllabus, from the highly academic to the broadly vocational.
- The system is failing most disastrously among less academic children.
- This was not an academic exercise — soldiers’ lives were at risk…
- Such is the size of the problem that these arguments are purely academic.
She received awards for her academic achievements/accomplishments.她因学术成就受到了表彰。
I spent my academic career at one school.我在一所学校度过了我的学术生涯。
The board set tough academic standards for graduation.委员会为毕业生设定了严格的学术标准。
He was offered a teaching job and decided to return to academic life.他谋到了一个教师职位并决定回归学术生活。
His interest in sailing is purely academic. He’s not a sailor himself.他对航海的兴趣完全是纸上谈兵，他自己不是水手。
It was a question of only academic [=theoretical] interest.这仅仅是一个理论上的问题。
He’s not very academic, but he’s good with his hands.他学业不算优秀，但动手能力突出。
He did well enough academically to be accepted at many colleges.他学业成绩优秀，很多大学都愿意录取他。
an academically gifted student在学习上很有天赋的学生