- prep. 超过；在 … 上面；高于
- adj. 上面的；以上的
- adv. 在上面；超过；更重要地；上文地
- n. 上面的东西
above , on 与 over
The water came above our knees.
We were flying above the clouds.
the people in the apartment above mine
A captain in the navy ranks above a captain in the army.
海军的 captain (上校)军衔比陆军的 captain (上尉)高。
They finished the year one places above their local rivals.
2. more than sth; greater in number, level or age than sb / sth
Inflation is above 6%.
Temperatures have been above average.
We cannot accept children above the age of 10.
我们不能接受 10 岁以上的儿童。
3. of greater importance or of higher quality than sb / sth
I rate her above most other players of her age.
4. too good or too honest to do sth
She’s not above lying when it suits her.
He’s above suspicion (= he is completely trusted).
5. (of a sound 声音) louder or clearer than another sound
I couldn’t hear her above the noise of the traffic.
▪ above ‘all
most important of all; especially
Above all, keep in touch.
▪ a’bove yourself (disapproving) having too high an opinion of yourself
⇨ more at over prep.adverb1. at or to a higher place
Put it on the shelf above.
Seen from above the cars looked tiny.
They were acting on instructions from above (= from sb in a higher position of authority).
2. greater in number, level or age
increases of 5% and above
增加 5% 或以上
A score of 70 or above will get you an ‘A’.
children aged 12 and above
3. earlier in sth written or printed
As was stated above…
See above, page 97.
见前文,第 97 页。adjective[only before noun] mentioned or printed previously in a letter, book, etc.
Please write to us at the above address.
• the above noun [sing. + sing. / pl. v.] :
Please notify us if the above is not correct.
All the above (= people mentioned above) have passed the exam.
- He lifted his hands above his head…他将双手举过头顶。
- Apartment 46 was a quiet apartment, unlike the one above it…和它楼上的那间不同，46号公寓很安静。
- He was staring into the mirror above him.他盯着在他上方的镜子。
- Above is also an adverb.
- A long scream sounded from somewhere above.从上面什么地方传来一声长长的尖叫。
- …a picture of the new plane as seen from above…这架新飞机的俯视图
- There are five bedrooms, a large attic above, and wine cellars below.有5间卧室，顶层是一个宽敞的阁楼，底下是酒窖。
- Several conclusions could be drawn from the results described above…从上文描述的结果中可以得出几个结论。
- Full details are in the table above.详细信息请见上文表格。
- Above is also a noun.
- For additional information, contact any of the above.如需更多信息，可与以上任何一处联系。
- Above is also an adjective.
- For a copy of their brochure, write to the above address.欲索取其宣传册，请写信至以上地址。
- The temperature crept up to just above 40 degrees…温度攀升至40度出头。
- Victoria Falls has had above average levels of rainfall this year…维多利亚瀑布今年的降雨量超过了平均水平。
- These plants must be stored in the light at above freezing temperature…这些植物必须放置于零度以上光照充足的地方。
- Government spending is planned to rise 3 per cent above inflation.政府开支拟订高出通货膨胀3个百分点。
- Above is also an adverb.
- Banks have been charging 25 percent and above for unsecured loans.银行对于没有担保的贷款一直收取25%或更高的费用。
- …trying to talk above the noise…努力使说话声高过噪音
- Then there was a woman’s voice, rising shrilly above the barking.接着，一个女人的尖厉声音盖过了犬吠声。
- I know you’re above me socially, but I must say I find your attitude offensive…我明白你的社会地位比我高，但我得说我觉得你的态度很粗鲁。
- I married above myself — rich county people…我高攀了一门亲事，是县里的富有人家。
- Look at the people above you in the positions of power and see what type of characters they are.审视一下权位高于你的那些人，看他们具有哪种类型的性格。
- Above is also an adverb.
- The policemen admitted beating the student, but said they were acting on orders from above.警察承认打过这名学生，但说他们只是奉命行事。
- I just think you’re getting a little bit above yourself.我只是觉得你变得有点自视过高。
- This was clearly a failure by someone who thought he was above failure…这显然是认为自己根本不会失败的人所遭遇的一次失败。
- I’m not above doing my own cleaning.我很乐意自己做扫除。
- The Queen remains above criticism, apart from the issue of her tax liability…抛开她的纳税义务不谈，女王一直无可指摘。
- He was a respected academic and above suspicion.他是位受人尊敬的学者，根本没有嫌疑。
- …his tendency to put the team above everything…他把这个团队看得比什么都重要的倾向
- I want to be honest, honest above everything else.我想要做到诚实，一切以诚实为上。
Usage Note :Above and over are both used to talk about position and height. If something is higher than something else and the two things are imagined as being positioned along a vertical line, you can use either above or over. He opened a cupboard above the sink… She leaned forward until her face was over the basin. However, if something is higher than something else but the two things are regarded as being wide or horizontal rather than tall or vertical, you have to use above. The trees rose above the row of houses. Above and over are both used to talk about measurements, for example, when you are talking about a point that is higher than another point on a scale. Any money earned over that level is taxed. …everybody above five feet eight inches in height. You use over to say that a distance or period of time is longer than the one mentioned. …a height of over twelve thousand feet… Our relationship lasted for over a year. Above and over are also both used to talk about people’s rank or importance. You use above to talk about people who are more important and in a higher position than other people. …behaving as if she was in a position above the other staff. If someone is over you, they give orders or instructions to you. …an officer in authority over him.
above和over均可表示位置和高度。若一物高于另一物，且两者可设想成处于同一垂直线上，则两词都可用：He opened a cupboard above the sink（他打开水池上方的碗柜），She leaned forward until her face was over the basin（她俯身向前，把脸凑到了脸盆上方）。当一物高于另一物，但两者宽而不高，或存在水平而非垂直关系，则须用above：The trees rose above the row of houses（树木矗立在那排房屋的边上）。above和over都可表示度量，例如表示一点在标度上高于另一点：Any money earned over that level is taxed（超过这一标准的收入都要纳税），everybody above five feet eight inches in height（所有身高超过5英尺8英寸的人）。over可用于距离、时间的比较：a height of over twelve thousand feet（超过1.2万英尺的高度），Our relationship lasted for over a year（我们的关系持续了一年多）。above和over都可指人的级别和重要性。above用于表示比他人重要和地位较高者：behaving as if she was in a position above the other staff（表现得好像她比其他员工职位高似的）。over用于表示某人有权下命令或指令：an officer in authority over him（一位军阶在他之上的军官）。
: in or to a higher place在…上方；向…上方
They stood under the tree and looked at the branches above. [=overhead]他们站在树下，望着头顶上的树枝。
The stars shone above. [=in the sky]星星在天空闪烁。
The stairs lead above [=upstairs] to the bedrooms.顺着楼梯上去就是卧室。
up above and down below上上下下
: in or to a higher rank or number（级别或数字）高于，在…以上
Students in the grade above [=in the next grade] study algebra.学生从下个年级开始学代数。
Groups of six and above [=of six or more] need reservations.六人及六人以上团体需要预订。
a game that is suitable for children at/of age 10 and above [=older]适合10岁及以上的儿童的游戏
: above zero零上；零度以上
Temperatures range from 5 below to 5 above.温度在零下5度到零上5度之间变化。
: higher, further up, or earlier on the same page or on a preceding page : at a previous point in the same document（书页、文件等的）前文，上文
Write to us at the address shown above. [=at the above address]按照上文所给的地址给我们写信。
Except as noted above, all the information can be verified.除了前文标注过的信息，其他所有信息都可以核实。
the person named above = the above-named person上文提及的人
: from a higher place or position从高处；从上面
It looks like a cross when viewed from above.从高处看它像是一个十字架。
: from someone with greater power or authority从上级；从高层
waiting for orders from above等待上级命令