- n. 能力；才能
have/lose the ability to do sth. 拥有/失去 做某事的能力
例： Behind each door you open are chances to learn new things, and you have the ability to make your own choices. 在你打开的每扇门后面都有学习新事物的机会，你有能力做出自己的选择。
ability, genius, talent 和 gift
1. [sing.] ~ to do sth the fact that sb / sth is able to do sth
The system has the ability to run more than six program at the same time.
Everyone has the right to good medical care regardless of their ability to pay.
A gentle form of exercise will increase your ability to relax.
2. [C, U] a level of skill or intelligence
Almost everyone has some musical ability.
He was a man of extraordinary abilities.
students of mixed abilities
A woman of her ability will easily find a job.
I try to do my job to the best of my ability (= as well as I can).
a·bil·i·ty / E5bIlEtI ; E5bIlEti /noun (plural abilities)
1. Cthe state of being able to do something能力，能够:
ability to do sth
2. C,Usomeone’s level of skill at doing something能力〔的水平〕; 本领; 技能:
athletic / musical / artistic etc ability
of great / exceptional etc ability
of high / low / average ability
- The public never had faith in his ability to handle the job…
- He has the ability to bring out the best in others.
- Her drama teacher spotted her ability…
- I have confidence in the ability of the players…
- They repeatedly questioned his leadership abilities…
- Does the school cater for all abilities?
- I take care of them to the best of my abilities…
- They tackled them to the best of their ability.
不要混淆 ability, capability 和 capacity。ability 常用于表示某人将某件事做好的能力：He had remarkable ability as a musician（他拥有杰出的音乐才华），the ability to bear hardship（承受苦难的能力）。capability 指某人所能完成的工作量以及所能达到的工作质量：a job that was beyond the capability of one man（个人力所不及的工作），the director’s ideas of the capability of the actor（导演对于这个演员演技的看法）。capacity指做成某件事所需的素质, 用法比 ability 更加正式，例如 their capacity for hard work（他们能吃苦耐劳），his capacity to see the other person’s point of view（他领会他人观点的能力）。
a young woman with many remarkable musical/artistic/athletic abilities在音乐/艺术/体育领域能力非凡的年轻女性。
— often followed by to + verb常接动词不定式
a teacher with an ability to inspire his students能启迪学生的教师
Does he have the ability [=authority] to fire employees?他有解雇员工的权力吗？
a writer’s ability [=capability, capacity] to interest readers作家吸引读者的才能
a young woman of great musical/artistic/athletic ability在音乐/艺术/体育领域能力非凡的年轻女性
She has shown some ability with foreign languages.她在外语学习方面展现出一些天赋。
He always works to the best of his ability. [=as well as he can]他工作起来总是全力以赴。